Monday, March 21, 2011

ooooh jersey shore ;)

Lately, I’ve been kind of annoyed by all the ‘arguing’ that happens over Christians boundaries. When it comes to things like music, movies, TV, social events and other stuff – there’s always different perspectives and opinions on what is right and what is wrong; what’s okay and what isn’t? I guess the reason I mention TV/movies/music is because I hear them talked about the most. For example; jersey shore... some say its wrong as a Christian to watch it, some say it’s no big deal. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not writing this to say I have an answer to what IS okay and what ISN’T, cause frankly – I just have yet another opinion to add this debate... I’d rather mention the fact that our view of sin should be GREATLY affected by our view of God.

The reason we don’t really get sin is because we have shrunk God. Sin has become an ‘ooops!’ rather than realizing that when we sin – we sin FIRST (on the deepest level) against God! That is a pretty big deal I’d say.  --- this thought was mentioned in church a week or so ago and as usual, it caught my attention.

It’s SO easy to disrespect our parents, the elderly and those around us because we’ve forgotten that by disrespecting them – we disrespect God. DISRESPECT GOD! If we were really aware of how big, great, holy, righteous, powerful etc. God is... we would shiver at the thought of disrespecting him. But we forget that by disrespecting those around us (gossip, lies, disobedience, rudeness), we disrespect God on a much deeper level...

I personally think it’s kind of similar when it comes to the music I listen to, what I watch on TV or in movies... I personally think jersey shore is straight up stupidity (I don’t understand how it can possibly be entertaining), but I also really believe that by watching that – I support what it is on some level. I support partying, swearing, immorality, drunkenness... I think you get the point... the bible is pretty clear on those topics... it IS sin. How can watching other’s sin like that become our entertainment... that stuff IS offensive to God, and if I support it – wouldn’t I be offending God? I don’t want to be offending God... do you? I guess I think people need to re-evaluate how they view God, who they think He is, what he stands for... that should affect HOW you live, what you watch and listen to, where you go to hangout; it should affect every aspect of who you are. Live wisely – and wisdom begins with God.

I know it’s complicated because to be honest, most TV shows have something in the that wouldn’t be pleasing to God, most movies and music as well. In the end, everyone does have their own boundaries and limits... but I think sometimes, those boundaries are pushed pretty far. There are some shows I see, movies and music too, and I wonder why the Christians around me aren’t completely disgusted by these things...

In the end, I think we need to be reminded of who our God is. Read the word, go to church, pursue your relationship with God – push yourself. Tune out all the noise of everything else and just focus on God – re-evaluate how you see Him. This will completely change your view of how you should live... we realize whether or not we are making WISE choices – is how we live really how God intended? Or have we allowed ourselves to dip our feet into the ways of the world... just something to think about...

2 comments: