Wednesday, March 9, 2011

lazy?... fail.

Laziness is like the ultimate way to destroy yourself. That might seem a little bit over the top – but I think it’s true. Sit on the couch all day, every day and your health declines. Expect your parents to always give you money because you’re not willing to get a job - slack on your school work because it’s not as important as watching TV or updating your facebook status – give up on trying to accomplish anything because it’s just ‘too hard’ – don’t work at keeping a relationship with a family member or friend alive because it’s just ‘too much work’ – I think you get what I’m saying... in the end, laziness results in failure.
Laziness allows for something good to fall into a bad state and fall apart.
Proverbs 24:30-34
“I went past the field of the sluggard,
Past the vineyard of the man who lacks judgement;
Thorns had come up everywhere, the ground was covered with weeds,
And the stone wall was in ruins.
I applied my heart to what I observed and learned a lesson from what I saw:
A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest –
And poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man”

Being lazy in your faith – I guess to me would be if I stopped reading the bible regularly and stopped spending time with God through prayer. If I stopped ‘learning’, I would fail to apply things to my daily life – I wouldn’t put my faith into action as well. If I started ‘pushing the boundaries’ of what is considered ‘wrong’ and started to act like the world... failing to stand apart for Christ. If I stopped completely living for God and just added ‘the Christian religion’ to my life without taking it seriously – I would be lazy in my faith; lazy in building the kingdom; lazy in growing in God.

Reading that proverb, it shows that the person who is lazy and does not work – will have their ‘field’/’vineyard’ come to ruin. When you start to act ‘lazy’, things go downhill! I think it is the same when it comes to faith – when we stop working, trying, pushing ourselves and our knowledge; when we stop moving and stand still – our relationship with God is no longer at the front of our lives – something else has taken our focus... or maybe you just have no focus and have given up – either way, laziness = failure.

This passage was spoken about the other week in church – and yeah, it got me thinking. Of course the Pastor went into more detail – and probably made more sense than I am – but I’m just sharing my thoughts with you. I guess I just really can see the importance of opening the bible and reading it and studying it to better understand its meaning. I see the need for prayer in our daily lives – the need for movement in our faith. Don’t stand still – walk forward – run forward... grow, learn, apply and all the work is more than worth it in the end. We hear stuff like this all the time, it’s become more of a ‘Sunday school lesson’... but yet there are so many people who easily shrug it off. I’ve done it and I know for a fact that when my relationship with God starts to lose its importance, other area’s in my life start to fail as well – but when God is my main priority and focus, everything starts to piece together and grow.

I guess I don’t want to just repeat what we’ve heard so many times before – but I just wanted to stress the important of delving into God’s word and studying it – learning and reflecting – praying and spending time with God – applying all the we learn to our daily walk and really watching our lives change as a result of that – don’t be lazy! Don’t sit back – run full speed towards God.

No comments:

Post a Comment