Monday, December 30, 2013

"Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread."

Proverbs 30:8+9

"Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonour the name of my God."

Falsehood: false shows | false appearances of happiness | every vain expectation | trying to live up-to something that is shallow and materialistic. *Derived from the Hebrew word: SHAV = vanity.

Lies: words of deception | empty pretensions | false promises | words that fail.


Let my heart not be set on anything that is not solid, true, durable and eternal.

Keep me at a distance from material temptations. Our appetite should not hunger after ways to satisfy meaningless desires; our appetites should hunger after the true and eternal God and HIS ways. This is the prayer of a true wisdom seeker. He seeks from the Lord honesty in heart and sufficiency in Him. This is a prayer to stay dependant on God and not to be self-sufficient. 

Do not give me riches - preserve my heart from idolatry.
Give me my daily bread - that I may continue to depend on YOU alone.
Give me an honest heart that honours the name of my God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment