Wednesday, May 8, 2013

is your relationship with God alive?

Make it real, make it a relationship.

I guess I feel like I've seen so many people missing the point of their faith in God, I know I've been there before and now I see how sad it is to be off target.

Why do you go to church? Why do you pray and read the word? Why do you stay away from worldly things? Is it because your parents brought you up that way? Or maybe its because you feel that its the right thing to do, the morale thing to do. Maybe you enjoy the social aspect, or maybe its just routine. Maybe its because you genuinely believe in God, but you just leave it at that... I remember wondering what the point of believing in God was. I remember feeling like there had to be more to what God had for me, outside of the routine of church and reading the bible out of obligation. I see some people I know now, and apart from the fact that they attend church faithfully and 'know their stuff', they even have good morales and stay away from 'worldly' things, but other then that you'd never really know they walk with the Lord. They're just nice people doing nice things. There is no passion, no desire to learn more about God. They read the bible before or after dinner because its what they do - they pray once and awhile because they know God listens, but do they REALLY get it?

God is so much bigger and so much greater then we can even imagine. I have christian friends who rarely talk with me about what God is doing in their lives, they never seem interested in sitting down and just talking about God and the word and life. They seem burnt out, confused even as to why they have faith in God at all. I desire to see them, and myself, experience God on a daily basis in the ways he intends. God speaks to us through his word, and through prayer, and through many other things, but reading the bible out of obligation and not out of a true desire might actually be a wall between true communication with God.

Sometimes I see the difference between different worship styles and I wonder, are they really experiencing what God has for them? I'm not talking about throwing yourself on the floor in an emotional, uncontrollable mess... I'm just talking about whether or not God really grips their heart and moves in them and their churches. I wonder this for them because I wondered for myself for quite some time, and now that I have an answer... I want to see other people find freedom too. I don't understand how worship can be fenced in by SO many rules and preferences that are man-made. Worship freely. How can worship (I'm not just talking musical) be so dry and dull? The word of God is not boring, singing songs to God is not dull. It IS good to praise God with music, with musical talent of all kinds, to sing and really praise his name. It IS good to pray and lay hands on one another and seek God's face. It IS good to have certain occasions in church to allow people to come to the front and have prayer and even ask for Christ to come into their heart. Be discerning, stay true to the bible, but don't restrict the Holy Spirit, don't put limits on God just for the sake of your comfort level.

Sometimes I wonder if the style of worship has actually become an idol for some churches. If attending church is an idol? If you miss one service, or visit a friend or family's church for a Sunday, is that so wrong? If you are baptist and you visit a reformed church for the sake of worshiping with your loved ones one week, that is healthy. If you are reformed and visit a baptist church for the sake of worshiping with your loved ones once in a while, that is okay! I wonder why people act as if every church except their own is inappropriate and not up to par. You don't have to agree with every minor thing, as long as they preach God's word TRULY and have Godly leadership etc.

Walking with God is exciting and joyful. It moves me to worship privately and in community. It moves me to want to share my faith with us. It takes away the desire to do things that the world does, drinking and partying and clubbing have no appeal to me because God is more appealing. I want to be different because I want to be closer to God, not just because its the right thing to do. I want to be closer to God because he is EVERYTHING, not just because thats the right thing to say. I want to talk to God and hear from him on a daily basis, truly hear from him and expect more from him every day because I know he is WILLING, I need only have faith. I want to raise my hands in worship and sing, I want to pray when I feel led to pray, not just when its the allotted 'prayer time'. I want to cry and laugh and feel God moving in my heart, captivating me more and more. I want to seek HIS purpose for my life, and not try to add him to the plans I've already made for myself. Faith in God is amazing, beautiful and moving. It should be passionate and hungry and exciting.

Anyways, just a random blurb of thoughts. Are you excited about your relationship with Christ? Are you constantly hungry to be closer to him and learn more from him?

No comments:

Post a Comment