Friday, February 25, 2011

'we'd like to be humble - but what if no one notices?'

In order to be humble, I really believe it is important to have an understanding of who YOU are in light of who GOD is. I hear so many people all the time talking as if God is here to serve us, or believing in God is just something we can add into our lives... doesn’t that seem selfish? Since when was it all about us?! God is most defiantly not here to just serve us, in fact it is the opposite; we are here to serve our God. How? By offering up our lives to him. Why? Simply because of who HE is and what HE has done for us through his love and grace.
I remember when I was little I was taught to always put God first, others second and keep myself for last. The greatest commandment is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind... and the second is like it; love your neighbour as yourself... so it only makes sense that we come last... Of course it wouldn’t be true to say that God doesn’t care about us at all, and we are like his slaves...no, obviously not. God is loving and kind and gracious and compassionate and all those good things... but to think that He should be serving us and giving us what we want, when we want it and how we want it... that’s not okay. To be humble is to understand that we are to desire what God desires for us, no matter what that looks like – because HE is GOD and we were made to worship him and glorify him. We owe him everything. We are so undeserving but yet we have received eternal life in order to BE WITH GOD and worship Him at his feet! That is amazing considering how fallen we are...
If we start to think of ourselves less, we think of God more and we think of others more... which allows us to realize that we are not better then the people around us, rather we ought to be SO thankful that God revealed his truth into our lives in order that we might be saved... and furthermore, we should desire to share that truth with people around us so that they too may be saved.
Humility is not thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less. --C.S. Lewis
We'd like to be humble...but what if no one notices? --John Ortberg
It’s not about us! It’s so easy to have the mindset of ‘I’m going to do GREAT things for God’ because in the back of our minds we’re thinking about how great we will be... but if doing great things for God required us to die and never be ‘known’ by anyone on this earth, well that doesn’t seem so appealing does it? No, because it does give us any glory on earth - - what’s your purpose for wanting to serve God? Is it because you desire to Glorify God or because you want to Glorify yourself by serving God? To be humble is to understand who we are... but first we must understand who God is. Once we understand a little bit about who our God is, we can begin to see just how sinful and fallen we are, how undeserving we are AND how blessed we are to serve such a compassionate God who is slow to anger and abounding in love... God is good and his love for us is endless. His grace has saved us, his blood has set us free... and we are not worthy, but yet we received this amazing gift. So now, when I look at myself, I don’t see how it is possible to be prideful and ‘full of myself’... my life depends completely on him. He died for me so that I may live... HE is my life... HE is everything. If we realize this, there shouldn’t be room to be full of ourselves.
I don’t have the strength to get through this life on my own; I don’t have all the answers. I have no idea what I should do or where I should go; I don’t have all the answers. I am not wise enough... I DEPEND on Him! He comes first! To have a humble heart – the heart of a servant – is to serve God first because of who HE is and understanding that we were made to worship Him and to Serve Him and those around us.

1 comment:

  1. Hilary! wow this was really challenging but also encouraging that there is someone else who is thinking about this. I find myself a many of times struggling with this very thing. I was thinking about how in all reality to be humble as we are called to be it means to completely surrender everything we have and are to him.Its amazing how everything thing connects.
    Humble thy self in the sight of the Lord...

    ReplyDelete